Welcome to the Friends of Lindenwald
Since its formation in 1984, The Friends of Lindenwald has brought the life and times of the eighth President to the people throughout the United States and the world.
Annual Membership Drive; see how we're making a difference:
The Friends will again be fully engaged in helping move these initiatives forward:
- The Veterans Art in the Park program developed by MVB NHS staff, which will include hands-on work at the site and an Exhibition.
- The expansion by MVB NHS staff of its successful Ranger Time and Junior Ranger programs, which bring history to pre-school and grade school-aged children.
- Funding a virtual lecture series presented by experts who are transcribing Martin Van Buren’s papers and doing research on the women in his life
You can find more information about these projects at www.nps.gov/mava
Additionally, we also support:
- The care and upkeep of the 70-acre Martin Van Buren Trails
- Scholarships for seven area High School students who excel in history
- Sponsoring Environmental Awareness Day at the site and MVB trails
- Supporting special events at the site, including assisting with the annual Winter Celebration and welcoming new and seasonal NPS staff
- Supporting the Dutch Heritage Farming Trail Run
The Friends of Lindenwald was established on January 17, 1984 as a non-profit organization whose purpose is to stimulate interest in the history of President Martin Van Buren, the politician and farmer, the preservation of his home Lindenwald and to generate sustained appreciation of the rich heritage and history.
The non-profit organization works to:
- Advance the preservation of Lindenwald by acquiring artifacts associated with Van Buren
- Provide scholarships to exceptional local high school students interested in history
- Support a local Youth Leadership Development Program in cooperation with the Martin Van Buren National Historic Site
- Cooperate with local community groups to bring a variety of activities and programs to the historic site